Are you planning to apply for a job? Exciting! To apply for a job, you typically need to submit a resume and cover letter. You can apply for jobs online, through a company’s website, or in person. Some jobs may require additional materials, such as a portfolio or references. After submitting your application, it is common to have an interview with a potential employer before a final decision is made. Learn more on this page about what you can do to prepare for your application and your interview to blow your employer away.
What can I do to prepare to apply for a job?
It is important that you prepare well before responding to a job posting. You only have a first impression once, so make sure it is a good one. We’ve listed some helpful tips that you can apply when preparing for your job application:
- Tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job and company you are applying to.
- Research the company and the industry to understand their mission, values, and culture.
- Prepare answers to common interview questions.
- Gather any additional materials that may be required, such as a portfolio or references.
- Practice interview skills through mock interviews with a friend or family member.
- Make sure your online presence, such as your LinkedIn Profile, is professional and up-to-date.
- Prepare any questions you may have for the employer during the interview. Asking questions shows that you are interested.
- Review the job listing and qualifications requirements and make sure you match them as much as possible. If necessary, adjust your resume slightly accordingly.
- Ensure that your resume and cover letter are error-free and well-formatted.
- Prepare for any pre-employment test or assessment if required by the employer.
- Make your resume stand out by giving it a unique look by using colors, for example. Also, always include a photo of yourself on your resume, this makes it much more personal!
The day of the application: what to look out for?
Application day has finally arrived. We have some practical tips that will get you through this day:
- Be on time: Arrive at least 10-15 minutes early to the interview, it shows that you value their time and are prepared.
- Dress professionally: Dress in appropriate attire that is appropriate for the company and the position you are applying for.
- Listen carefully: Listen to the interviewer’s questions carefully and take a moment to compose your thoughts before answering.
- Be honest: Be honest about your qualifications and experiences, but also highlight your strengths and how they align with the position.
- Show enthusiasm: Show enthusiasm for the company and the position you are applying for.
- Be aware of your body language: Maintain good eye contact, sit up straight, and avoid fidgeting.
- Ask thoughtful questions: Prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer about the company, the role, and the team.
- Follow up: Follow up with a thank you note or email after the interview, it shows your interest in the position and the company.
- Be aware of company culture: Observe how the interviewer and the company represent themselves, their values and culture.
- Be prepared for salary discussion: Consider what salary you expect and be prepared to have a conversation about compensation if it comes up.
We hope you will successfully get the job with these tips, we wish you good luck with the application!